Concrete is everywhere and around us. Form the walls that we live into the places we enter for work. So, no offense will be committed when we say that concrete is known to almost everyone. Do you know that concrete has some fascinating facts which you are about to read below?
1. Roman concrete was produced by mixing volcanic ash from Mt. Vesuvius and lime. Today’s concrete is produced by mixing sand, cement, and water.
- Concrete is the most common and widely used building material on earth.
- A temperature of 1000°F will crumble the concrete. The temperatures will evaporate the water and convert the gravel and sand into a molten state.
4.it was not until 1824 that the cement was invented. The invention was by Joseph Aspdin who came from England. The modern cement was given the name Portland, after giving yield to stronger stones. Portland cement is now found in every concrete.
- The heaviest structure made from concrete is the three Gorges dam found in china. it is said that the dam weighs 144, 309, 356, 754 pounds of concrete.
6. Thomas Edison has more than 50 patents that use concrete. His ideas applied to concrete homes and concrete furniture.
- When it comes to building underwater structures, concrete is widely used due to its resistance towards water and fire.
8. The statute of Christ found in Brazil was build using soapstone and concrete. The project used 630-635 tons of concrete and took a period of nine years to complete.
- Wood ward road which is located in Greenfield Township was the first road to be built on concrete. The road was built in 1909.
- The demand for concrete is increasing by 5% and it is projected by 2020 5.3 metric tons of cement will be used to make concrete.
- The Pantheon Dome in Rome is considered one of the world’s largest dome built using unreinforced concrete.
- Concrete was forgotten during the dark ages. It was again used during the middle ages.
- The empire building was the tallest structure in the world and was built using 62,000 m3 tons of concrete.
Those are some of the fascinating facts about concrete. The material becomes even more astounding if polished by the right people with the right expertise. If you are a homeowner please make sure you read about concrete production and how its products are applied so you can learn in detail.